Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tilted Pinwheel(?) Quilt

This is how it starts. The fabric is waiting to be pre-shrunk. I always pre-shrink my fabrics. I don't want to be surprised when something runs (and red is notorious for that), mutilating all my work and I want to be in control of how things shrink up in the end. I don't pre-shrink the backing, I want it to shrink after the quilt is done so that everything puckers nicely and mistakes are hidden.

Now you see the strips all cut and ready to be sewn together. Wait...they are different than those of the first picture. Yeah, well I changed my mind. I didn't like how they were just sort of blah except for the red which shouted at me and wanted out. I didn't want to be stuck doing a blah quilt. The time to change your mind is before you start sewing. Actually, only the black made it. Besides, the bride likes green.

Now all the strips are sewn together.
I tried another ar- rangement first but it didn't sing to me. It made black stars and they were depressing so I tried this one...it makes me happy.

Okay, now the fun part. I have never tried this technique so was kind of unsure of how to go about it. The directions said one thing but I saw that it wasted a third of the panel. Not acceptable. I don't like wasting stuff, I save everything. What for? I don't know. Yes, I do. I might need it some day. And today I did. See the cardboard squares? I needed a template (or four) that was nine inches square. Printer paper is 8 1/2 X 11. No good. I don't want to piece it and it is too flimsy anyway, even card stock. But I always save the cardboard that comes with all those calendars we all get every year. A few cuts and it's just what I need. Yay!

Make a few slices through the panels at an angle. That's at least 20 panels making about eighty funny shaped blocks.

I didn't realize I had to keep where the corners of the template fell on the panel in mind until after I had everything all sewn together. Oh well. I learn as I go.




How can you make anything with this shape you say?

Just square it up and there you go.
Guess what? I saved all the scraps to make another quilt. I just have to design a pattern or something.

Sew all those blocks together and you get stars or pinwheels or something.

I don't have a name for this quilt but I like it. It is more traditional looking without being traditional. Maybe I'll call it "Tilted Pinwheel".


Onyx thinks it makes a good bath tub.





...and this quilt does match her eyes and collar and fur, see?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3/30/2008 1:50 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

I think it looks very nice.

 
At 3/30/2008 7:36 PM, Blogger Gramma said...

I saw sparkle in Jenny's eyes when she first saw it. I think it is to go on the back of her sofa for all to see.

 
At 3/31/2008 10:12 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Wow! I like it. You make it look so easy. BTW is that your aquamarine project? jk

 
At 4/02/2008 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous :)

 
At 4/07/2008 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home