Monday, May 26, 2008

The Big Island

Without fanfare we did it. Da and I visited our favorite island, the Big Island of Hawaii. It has so many different kinds of places one never gets tired of it.

I think these ferns are intriguing, all curled up and ready to unfurl.


We took Da's sister, Em. She had never been to Hawaii. Here she is with her brother on a black sand beach.
The volcano is still erupting and causing a weird weather phenomenon the locals call Vog, volcano fog. That is the crater behind us.
From the helicopter we could see evidence of a lava tube.
We also traipsed through an old one. It had cooled signifi- cantly.
No trip to Hawaii would be complete for me without a visit to my favorite orchid nursery. I didn't have this color orchid. Now I do.
This one, though not unusual in looks, was so very fragrant even the cashier who works amongst the flowers was impressed.
I am not much for baking in the sun so we did not bask much as this local denizen apparently does.

2 Comments:

At 5/27/2008 3:42 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

What's a denizen? Those flowers are beautiful! Did you ship them back or did you bring them back on the plane? Where is your emerald project? No pressure or anything but I think I should make you pay.

 
At 5/31/2008 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you three really did have tons of fun. I'm glad you went and I'm glad I helped out with the driving :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home