Wednesday, August 16, 2006

No bid

Here I sit waiting for the first guy to come and make a bid for the clean up of the back yard. It is starting to get to me again. Ten years ago I would be out there doing the clean up or most of it. Now about all I can manage is to make a list of what needs to be done. I have designed it to be mostly low maintenance/low water use but since the irrigation is what needs the most attention it is not as low maintenance as I would like.

Things are dying.

My favorite flowering shrub, a blue hibiscus (Alyogyne huegelii), succumbed to the heat this year. That made me very sad. Even dead it is pretty, in a dead kind of way.

Maybe I can get the irrigation system revamped so that there will be enough moisture to the right places to get things to grow thick enough that the weeds can't make it through while the pretty things get what they need. Then it will truly be low maintenance as the weeds are what make all the work.

It is so pleasant to just stroll the paths pulling a weed here or there and not have to see a whole hillside of dead grass/weeds between dead shrubs. Why do the weeds survive so well while the supposedly low-water-need plants don't?

SAJ spent a few days here and very kindly got me a bird feeder. It looks nice in the white garden, doesn't it? Only a few white flowers are blooming now and none of them are near the feeder. Oh well. Getting the feeder from SAJ gave me the incentive to put up another feeder that my kids got me a while ago. I put it up on the back patio where I can watch the birds from the family room. The birds haven't discovered either one yet.

The first bidder will not be getting the job as he has not shown up yet. He is 2-3 hours late. That is very bad if he wants my business.

6 Comments:

At 8/16/2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I think your garden is beautiful! And the bird feeder is so cute! My problem is knowing what is a weed and what is an actual flower. I end up pulling the flowers and keeping the weeds. fortunately the previous owners of our house planted alot of bulbs all over and they always thrive each year. The things I plant don't fare quite as well.

 
At 8/17/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

I'm so sad that your garden is not thriving! That hibiscus is beautiful though dead, as you say. What does it look like alive? I hope you can get someone who is consistent and able to get your garden back in shape. It's such a neat retreat.

 
At 8/17/2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like the dead picture. It is really pretty!

 
At 8/17/2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

The first picture was taken years ago and it was alive then. The middle picture is of it dead.

 
At 8/18/2006 9:06 AM, Blogger Kedge said...

Yeah, Heidle! That's why you'll always be a bead-er at heart, they don't need water, sunshine, or fertilizer! If you're into dead plants, you're living in the wrong latitude.
JLG, Can you show Mom how to change the blogger ID? She is doing good, but I think she forgot how to 'comment' in her own identity.

 
At 8/20/2006 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

s that blue hibiscus the same as a mallow? '''''' I've always wondered what a mallow looked like..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home