Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Do I have to eat that?

I looked out the window and I saw two birds cuddled together on a rock. How cute is that? Lovebirds in my backyard. The next day they were back. I got my binoculars and bird book and identified them as Black Phoebes. Then I watched them for a while. Pretty soon a third bird came to join them. Then a fourth. The latecomers would flitter off and come back to the "lovebirds" and stuff bugs down their throats. The "lovebirds" were actually fledglings being fed by their parents. They could fly but were not quick or agile enough to catch anything. So Ma and Pa did all the catching. Quite fun to watch. After a while, one of the fledglings flew up to the fence and sat there while Ma caught another bug. She stuffed it down the little one's throat and flew off after yet another bug. No sooner had Ma flown off than the little one spat out the bug. I guess he didn't like Ma's choice for lunch. Kids are kids no matter where you go.

2 Comments:

At 6/14/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

So cute! Check out my blog. I think our minds run in the same trough.

 
At 6/14/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

Black Pheobes are some of my favorite birds. They are so cute in their little tuxedos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home