Saturday, June 10, 2006

Jus' Walkin'

Thanks to a bit of advice from Kafryn, I went outside in the daytime to take pictures. The orchids do look better in the daylight. The only problem is that the breeze makes it difficult to focus. Oh well, I will practice. While out there I took a walk around the yard and discovered other things blooming so I will subject you to pictures of them. HA. First is a bloom of the chilopsis tree out front. Notice any similarity to an orchid?

Next is an agapanthus about to burst open. It is the first one this season.
Then a daylily. It seems to glow from the inside.

I'm moving to the back yard now. Here are some asiatic lilies. You can tell them from oriental ones because they look up and don't have a fragrance. They are trying to hide the drying foliage from my dutch iris and not doing a very good job.

Moving down the hill I come across the first blooming frond from one of my butterfly bushes. Yes, they really do attract butterflies.

It looks like this will be a good year for apricots, doesn't it? My poor trees get neglected too much yet still produce.

I'm almost to the bottom of the hill now.

I see that my other variety of chilopsis is also in full bloom. This is a dark red one. I like the form of this multi-trunked tree/bush. It makes the last terrace an inviting place to stop and rest on this walk.









At the back gate I have a chitalpa tree. Actually, I have two because I like them so much. Both of them are in the lower part of the back yard which I call "the flat".
I think it is one of the prettiest trees for this area. It provides a nice shade and doesn't care for a lot of water. It is just now starting to bloom and it will continue blooming through all the heat of our summer. I wonder why we don't have more of them? It is related to the chilopsis but is a more substantial tree.

Lastly, I see that some Mexican hats have once again sprung up. They are the only flowers that come back reliably every year from a wildflower mix that I strew years ago.





Now I have to climb the hill again, thanks, Kafryn.

P.S. Hey, did you know that if you click on a picture you will get a large view of it? Try it on the daylily and the chitalpa tree.

3 Comments:

At 6/10/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Kedge said...

3:54 A.M.!!! Where are you, Alaska? You inspire me. What beautiful, clear pictures. Hurry and wake up so we can go get my camera.

 
At 6/10/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger SAJ said...

pretty tree!

 
At 6/10/2006 3:22 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Wow! Beautiful pics! I especially like the enlarged view of the Mexican hats. It's fun taking a tour through your garden. (It's good exercize too:))Thsnks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home