Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I miss him

I didn't miss the colorful leaves in Springfield after all. We missed the peak but that is okay. There were other things that needed to be done.


The squirrels there are bold. This one just stared at me so I stared back. I think he has an acorn in his mouth.

I believe these are sugar maple leaves. Isn't that blue sky something?

The day before the funeral was beautiful.
Then it turned stormy and cold, gray and windy.

I like this tree near Murl's grave. The bark has such an interesting twist to it.
Nobody knew what kind of tree it was so we took some fallen leaves back to Emby's house and her daughter, Swanut, with everyone's help and a dichotomous key, identified it as an American Basswood or Linden.


We may be wrong, though, as the Worldbook Encyclopedia at home shows that tree to be much more pyramidally shaped and not so round.

I just needed some kind of reference point if I was ever going to be able to find the spot again.



All the grave markers in that area are the flat kind which makes it a very serene place but difficult to get ones bearings.



So that nobody is under the impression that the fall color of the leaves on the trees in California are not as pretty as elsewhere, here is my Chinese Tallow.

I just love her, even if she is a bit crooked.
And you can't get these colors just anywhere.

(Go ahead, click it.)

Edit: Can you believe it? These trees are considered invasive and are outlawed in many places. Lots of people hate them.

I am dismayed. I will have to check with my wildlife biologist. Ta?

12 Comments:

At 11/21/2006 7:53 PM, Blogger SAJ said...

beautiful!

 
At 11/21/2006 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That tree looks more like a Scarlet Oak to me. Look closely at the leaves on the ground.

 
At 11/21/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More corectly, those leaves appear to be from a Red Oak, Quercus rubra. Check it out for yourself and see what you think. I think a Linden would have leaves more similar to those of your Chinese Tallow, although not curled up at all.

 
At 11/22/2006 12:38 AM, Blogger Jailgy said...

Nah, I don't think so. The red leaf picture was taken around the corner from Papa's house and is either of a red or sugar maple. Notice the palmate shape, not oakey at all. The tree trunk and succeeding pictures were taken miles away at the cemetary. The leaves around it came with the wind from a distance. After the funeral and before the wind storm we were able to pick up leaves that matched the few remaining high up on the tree. They were indeed similar to the tallow tree's only pointy.

 
At 11/22/2006 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a very good picture-taker.

 
At 11/22/2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, remember that if you go back when the trees have leaves, everything will look very different. The pictures might not help much :)

 
At 11/22/2006 9:49 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

To me those vibrant red leaves remind me of a maple. I'm not sure what a sugar maple looks like. I remember those blue skies from Pennsylvania. Away from the city fumes and smog, it makes everything sparkle. As for the squirrel, he probably does have a nut in his mouth. The ones I knew from Paoli were piggy and carried at least two that puffed out their cheeks. Do you remember the attic in San Leandro? The whole floor was covered with our friendly squirrels' stash for winter.

 
At 11/22/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger ioi said...

I agree with Husband of Mommyof2. That tree in the cemetary definitely looks like some kind of oak tree. The bark, shape of tree, and the leaves on the ground all remind me of where I grew up - among hundreds of acres of oak trees!

 
At 11/22/2006 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for miscommunication. I never was referring to the Maple leaf picture, only the leaves I noticed around Murl's gravestone and the Trunk itself. I didn't see any of the oval-pointy leaves, but they could have already been cleaned up.

 
At 11/22/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

I'm gonna stick with the Linden tree. I agree, the leaves all around are oak but the leaves we picked up before the wind storm matched the few still on the tree and they were serrated heart shape with a twist. I could only find one poor example of the leaf in all my pictures and that is in the lower right of the grave marker pic. That was some windstorm to trade leaves all around like that.

 
At 11/22/2006 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors in the last picture. Beautiful shades of Autumn.

 
At 11/23/2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

I haven't heard anything about the tallow tree but I think you should plant more because they are so pretty. Also if they do end up being invasive all the better for Hemet. You could use some nice big trees like that popping up all over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home