Monday, October 09, 2006

Going to Springfield

I may not be here for a week. Da and I are going for our yearly visit to Springfield, Illinois. October is our favorite time back there. The summer humidity and heat are gone and the winter chill has not set in yet. It looks like we will get to see the fall colors at their peak this year, too. Sometimes we miss them, one can never really predict them that well. I always look forward to seeing them anyway. I'm taking my camera just in case.

More importantly, we also have relatives to see. Papa is 106 and a half! He reminds me of the energizer bunny--he keeps going and going and going. Da's sister, Emby, is there also. We will spend a lot of time with her, I'm sure. She knows Springfield very well, as well she should as she has lived there most of her life. Maybe I can get her blogging, too.

Emby's daughter and her husband live nearby, too. We won't see them this trip because he has recently retired and they are having fun traveling. He tells such tales out of school. You'd be amazed and amused at what a high school principal puts up with.

This will be a bittersweet trip, though. Papa has been in an assisted living facility for a year now and we are to start getting his house ready for sale. He has lived in Springfield all of his life and in only three houses, too. He was born in one in 1900. When he married in 1925 he moved to his second house and, shortly before he retired, in 1964 he moved to this house. There are a lot of memories there. Thankfully, that branch of the family doesn't exhibit any pack rat tendencies.

6 Comments:

At 10/10/2006 2:44 AM, Blogger SAJ said...

I hope you have a good trip! I have fond memories of Papa. Beautiful leaf picture! Take more!

 
At 10/10/2006 8:21 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

I miss the fall colors, a little bit, but not enough to move back to endure the following winters. Have a good trip!

 
At 10/10/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

I hope you have a really good time. Say hi to Papa for me and tell him he doesn't look a day over 80!

What a beautiful picture you took! I was just looking at the fall leaves here and thinking of PA falls. Nothing compares to the display they get back east.

 
At 10/10/2006 3:07 PM, Blogger ioi said...

Papa probably won't remember me since I only met him once, and that was at least ten years ago, but tell him 'Hi' for me too. His stories kept a little girl fascinated for hours!

 
At 10/10/2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it totally escaped me that the house was going to be sold :( i disapprove, of course. after all, it's PAPA's house!

 
At 10/25/2006 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm clicking on your page every half hour, like you asked, so you can build your self esteem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home