Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Jamestown and Williamsburg

Okay, Kedge, you win. I really should have done something already with all the pictures I took on our trip back east. I still have all the makings of its scrapbook waiting in my project room. It is such a big job, but the longer I put it off the less likely it is that it will ever get done. Maybe this will jumpstart the process. I can relate to SAJ when she says she gets overwhelmed with vacation pictures. So here is a tidbit.

Da and I had wanted to go back to the historic sites in Virginia for a long time. True, I lived near there for a brief time, but I was just a kid and besides, residents of a place don't appreciate what is in their backyards. We visited when En was just a year old, but how much sightseeing can one do with a toddler in tow? Years later we breezed through on a cross-country trip, but Da didn't meet up with the lot of us until we were well past the area.

So now we did it for real and on our time for our 31st anniversary and Da's birthday.

Late March is still pretty drab in Virginia, but you can tell spring is just around the corner. The forsythia was just beautiful here near the James River. Not much else was blooming at first, but daffodils abounded. On our drive from Dulles airport to Williamsburg I often saw whole hillsides of them, but I'm not good at driving and shooting pictures at the same time.


Here Da is trying on a helmet outside the armory in Jamestown. He is such a good sport.
My timing was perfect when I got this shot of a re-enactment in Jamestown. I know I jumped out of my skin at the noise but it came out okay.
I love maps like this one. So does Da. This is at the visitor's center in Williams- burg. After a day there, Da and I were getting disoriented. This helped straighten us out a bit. Click on the picture to see all the little itty-bitty houses.

A little tavern where we had lunch one day. Serving period food. We shared a very salty ham sandwich, quite tasty.

The obligatory picture. I would have posed for this if Da was any good at aiming a camera.
No, really.


(DC and Maryland will have to wait for another post.)

6 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, mom, these pictures are great :) I look forward to seeing more

 
At 9/13/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

Wowee...Da in stocks! The forsythia brings back fond memories. There is great debate as to whether it is for-sith'ia or fors-eye'thia. Either way it's an announcement of spring...all the flowers, then the leaves.

 
At 9/13/2006 7:49 AM, Blogger Kedge said...

Hip Hip Hooray! Finally we get to enjoy your trip. Thank you. Keep it up, maybe like a serial story in a magazine? With weekly installments, you could stretch this out for months! Just think, no more scratching your head for ideas.

 
At 9/13/2006 9:53 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

That looks like so much fun! Makes me want to go back myself and visit all the sights. I do remember visiting all the famous landmarks in D.C. but never got to our "backyard" in Virginia.

 
At 9/15/2006 5:19 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

I remember seeing those stocks when we went back there!

 
At 9/20/2006 10:52 PM, Blogger Captin Dan said...

Da, they've alway called you stocky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home