Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Quilt trip

Gramma and I want to make a quilt for a bride to be married in November. That's good, plenty of time.

It all started several weeks ago. Gramma suggested that she and I should do just that. I agreed. A few days later I read in the flyer that comes from the local community college about a course that they were offering, for free, on a kind of quilt I had never attempted before, a double pinwheel. Something new. It intrigued me.

We attended the first class. They needed more students to keep it going so I called Soup on my cell and she came running over. (The class is held about three blocks from her house.) Now there are enough students. We listened to the instructor instruct us on how to choose fabrics for this particular quilt. We even learned stuff. We bought two books between the three of us.

Gramma and I raided the enormous stash of fabrics in Kedge's shoppe. Why spend $$ when this stuff is calling out to us, right? Decisions, decisions. We were getting swirly headed just looking at the stuff. Then Da called and reminded me that a bidder for our yard work was scheduled to arrive in a half hour. Eeeek. We weren't done choosing. I grabbed a bunch of promising fabric and herded us all out to the car and to Gramma's bank (she needed cash) and then my bank (Ta needed a deposit). We even managed to make a quick stop at JoAnn's to take advantage of a coupon expiring that day and I bought a set of squares to square the squares with. So far so good. I dropped Gramma and Lithelady at Chuggy's and hurried home for the bidder.

Now this is the same guy that was scheduled to come a few days ago and he didn't show up for hours. Then he called and had some excuse, I forget what, and so softhearted Da rescheduled him for later. I got home just in time, I thought. Three hours later he showed up. Oh well. I'm not impressed with him, to say the least.

But I do have my own stash of fabric, too. It is even bigger now that I have raided the shoppe. I was feeling frustrated so I organized it. It is all measured and stacked in order of yardage. See my measuring marks on the table and Chase keeping me company on the sofa?

This quilt is a challenge, but I like challenges. The colors, values and "reads" must be just right or it won't "work". In my stash there is either not enough or there is too much of any suitable fabrics for this quilt. We will have to buy more.

Gramma informed me that she doesn't want to do the double pinwheel anymore. She doesn't want to go to that class either. She wants to do the good, old, reliable double Irish chain.

I will probably do both.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8/22/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Hey! I've got "tons" of fabric that I cannot use. Kedj tried to bring as much as she could back home last time she visited but had to leave an awful lot. Please come and get it! I can't and will not use it. I'm into knitting.

 
At 8/22/2006 7:39 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Or I'll bring it down in December if we come.

 
At 8/23/2006 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on 1000+ hits, mom :)

 
At 8/23/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

Can you fix my old quilt when I come down?

 
At 8/23/2006 10:42 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

I miss Chase and Brig. :(

 
At 8/24/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

Home again, jiggity jog. I'm excited about our double Irish chain. I'll go to Wayfarers today. Only fair to show up when I have the checkbook. Great info for everyone about quilts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home