Thursday, September 07, 2006

the Procedure

Well the "procedure" went fine. I have a clean bill of health and don't need to have this done again for ten years. Any blood relatives take note: your risks just went down because I came through with nary a polyp or pocket. It is good to be related to someone like me sometimes.

The worst part of the whole thing was the second dose of the "stuff". Drinking the first dose was just tolerable. Then not being able to eat anything but clear liquids for a day was tough. I do like my food. I don't consider jello a food. It's like 7-up, it's for sick people. I like ginger ale, though. I have been depriving myself of soda pop for several years because of what it does to my blood sugar levels. Ah, but now, I was told to have only clear liquids. Give me an inch and I'll take a mile so I drank ginger ale till there was no more. Let's just say that I did not have a problem with low blood sugar after nearly starving to death on clear liquids.

The "procedure" was a walk in the park. Very easy, simple, quick. (Except the LVN learning how to do an IV.) I even got to watch on closed circuit TV. I never saw the inside of me before. (Except my mouth.) I was in and out of there in less than an hour and a half. I even got pictures to take home. Anybody want to see?

I was perplexed on how to arrange the logistics of this appointment. Kaiser would not do the procedure unless I had a designated driver to take me home. They also wouldn't release me unless I had a responsible adult to accompany me. Da was all set to check us into a motel for the night but then I didn't just find one, driver I found two! Or they found me and volunteered. Sisters are so valuable! One left her sick kids at home and took me in. Thank-you, Chuggy. The other came straight after a hard day's work leaving Gramma to fend for herself and picked me up. Thank-you Kedge. Da came with me because the clinic closes before Kedge could get there. Kaiser considers Da responsible. We know better.

We even had time to have a yummy and leisurely meal at the Black Angus across the street. I was very hungry. I'm not silly, with a thoroughly cleaned out gut I started slow with just soup and salad. We decided to forego going to reading meeting though. I felt fine and dandy, especially after the large, hot mocha with whipped cream, but they pumped me full of air. It was clean air but it wanted out, and not just a little at a time. And not just once. Nothing like being in a quiet room full of serious people when that happens. So I stayed home.

9 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 9:09 PM, Blogger Gliterwolf said...

I want to see the pictures of you inside.

 
At 9/07/2006 11:46 PM, Blogger ioi said...

LOL! Ah, but I love your humor! Thank you for writing a blog post that made me laugh. And I'm glad to hear of your good results.

 
At 9/08/2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Kedge said...

I was spotted driving PAST the meeting room (7:40) by the brother who ended up giving a 'sermon' last night because the other brother who talks in reading meeting stayed home with his dear wifey. oops.

 
At 9/08/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

Now. . .with that procedure all done we don't have to anxiously anticipate the horror anymore. Glad the results were clear. Since I'm somewhat related I guess that goes for me too. I've had several appointments but were cancelled for some reason or other. Never went back.xpcxi

 
At 9/08/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

I too would be facinated with the pics of your insides.
I don't envy you and all your tests and procedures. I was at the doc today and she said "lose weight and exercize more...Or else." Same old mantra.
I'm very glad you stayed home from meeting. Try driving in a van for 24hrs. with a teenage boy. Much more confined space.
Don't you just hate having students do procedures? I had a student do an epi and it didn't work and they didn't have time to re-do it! I ended up having an emergency C-section sedated (general). Remember?

 
At 9/08/2006 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

made me laugh out loud :) i can just imagine the air escaping...

 
At 9/08/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

But knittery, it was CLEAN air, not at all like a teen boy's, just maybe a little noisy.
I don't mind the students, they have to learn somehow and I'm tough. I'm just glad she felt free to ask for help when she needed it. Ask Ta, she'll tell you, my veins are not the easiest to poke.
Not too sure I'll post the pics after all.

 
At 9/08/2006 6:21 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

The conversation went like this:
"Doctor, is it straight?"
"Yes, it's straight."
"No, it's not. But we don't have time to do it again."
(ME: "Oh, really, now?")
It was for a local, but since I could not get to the point of unfeeling, they put me under. With the second baby they tried again and I ended up doing deep breathing exercizes while they pulled her out. The doctor wondered why and when I told him it hurt he was truly puzzled. Turns out I have a very narrow epidural space and was almost paralyzed on my fourth. (The third was a general. They couldn't convince me that time. I fell for it again the fourth.)

 
At 9/10/2006 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to post about Washington D.C.?? Who cares if it was last Spring!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home