Monday, April 16, 2007

Taffy and rosebuds

I am so good at procrastinating. I am the best procrastinator you know.

The notice for the "baby shower in a box" had a deadline printed at the bottom, three weeks away. Okay, I can do that, no problem. Then the writer of the notice told me personally that it was a soft deadline and that if I needed more time I could have it. Bad move, she shouldn't have said that. I took her at her word. I did no more than think about the project until the afternoon before the deadline. Then I wasn't happy with the fabric in my stash and had to go out (the day of the deadline) and buy more fabric. Then the store didn't have what I wanted. Then I got waylaid at the quilt book aisle. Then I had to eat the yummy dinner that En prepared. Then I started in earnest. It is done now and I like it so I'm happy.


Here it is, my latest quilt. It took me all of 5 hours to make. I would have had it done sooner if I had only started it before I did.

Doesn't it look like salt water taffy?


The backside is solid white flannel with little pink ties. Very delicate and feminine looking.

While it was in the washer I frantically called Chuggy to see if she had mailed the box yet. Nope, not yet. Whew, I made it in time. One of these days I'm going to miss a deadline and feel really bad. Not today, though. I know how to procrastinate and still make deadlines.

I told Kedge when she asked how it was going that I still had to wash it. That was true at least. I also had to do everything else, but I didn't tell her that. When she called the next day (the day of the deadline!) to ask a favor of me she found me in my car. She asked if I was on my way over to deliver it to Chuggy's, I said, "No". I didn't tell her that at that very minute I was on my way to the fabric store to get more fabric and I still had to cut it out and sew it and quilt it, too. My bad. I didn't want her to scold me, or take away my personally softened deadline.

When making a quilt for a baby I like to use flannel. It just feels so soft and cuddly. The problem is that flannel is not durable. It wears out so quickly. My solution is to use all the shortcuts I can think of so that I don't feel like I put a lot of sweat and tears into something destined to be short lived.

Short cuts:
use large pieces
use a simple pattern
tie rather than quilt
don't make borders
use the inside-out method
don't do hand stitching anywhere (except in tying)

It turned out better than I deserve.

Now I really have to get to work on the project for which I am taking a class. I am so far behind the others ...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4/18/2007 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, said quilt is soft and cuddly. In fact, Elizabeth got to wear it as she slept in her mother's arms. I'm sure it will be perfect for little LMB. I'd like to see her mom's face when she opens the big box.

 
At 4/18/2007 8:46 PM, Blogger Kedge said...

You make me smile. So like the rest of us; never met a sewing project that scared you.
Well, maybe the Noodle Dress

 
At 4/19/2007 3:16 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

My heart was racing! Glad you made the deadline. (BTW-maybe you should think about writing mystery thrillers. It turned out beautiful. Yes, flannel is great for baby quilts. Did you hear the latest baby news from Richmond?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home