Monday, February 19, 2007

Spring has sprung

We lost a lot of plants due to the cold weather last month but not these. These are my tete-a-tete daffodils. They are very cheery and do a lot to encourage gardening. They are just so little and so cute even amongst the dead foliage.

The asparagus fern at the far right didn't make it but it looks like it will be a great year for the squill in the background. The snow-in-summer ground cover seems to be making a valiant effort to come back after freezing to nothingness.
We finally got some much needed rains so I scattered scads of wildflower seeds to help beautify the denuded canyon. It is supposed to rain again later this week so that will give them a fighting chance of germinating. I hope the rabbits and birds will give them half a chance. My neighbor says I was just scattering rabbit food seeds. (That black stuff is my effort to control the weeds this year.)

3 Comments:

At 2/20/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

What a bright surprise!

 
At 2/21/2007 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The front lines of the winter Barren :)

 
At 2/26/2007 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your little daffodils sure look bright and happy. I'm still waiting for my daffodils. The narcissuses (?) have come and are going. Carolina Jasmine by the garage door is blossoming all over and our Japanese Maple has swelling buds. Later today I'll work on getting the iris corms into the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home