Monday, January 08, 2007

Buzzing Hummingbird

Here he is, my resident Costa's humming- bird. He has a purple head and throat. I have three feeders for humming- birds and he keeps all the others away, except for a female which I think may be his mate. Hummingbirds are so territorial and aggressive. He even buzzes around me trying to scare me away. But I'm bigger.

Notice the gorget that sticks out behind his neck. It is purple, too.





Now I just need to get the sun to cooperate and shine into my backyard.


Nevermind that I have a two story house and the backyard is on the north side of it.

To do him justice, this bird must be seen in the sunlight.
I will keep trying to get a good picture.

I spied him in the mallow bush which is closer to the sunlight. Click on the picture and you may get an idea of the intense metallic purple that this bird is known for.

I think he is beautiful and he may buzz me anytime.

4 Comments:

At 1/09/2007 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful! Now can you get him to stay still?

 
At 1/11/2007 5:34 PM, Blogger Kedge said...

I looked close up, too! How absolutely beautiful. God has the best color palate.

 
At 1/11/2007 8:18 PM, Blogger ioi said...

I can only imagine what he looks like in the sunshine! We do have a wonderful Creator!

 
At 1/18/2007 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so purple!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home