Monday, August 27, 2007

Brigadoon

Today was a very hard day for us. Our dog, Brigadoon, died peacefully in our arms at home, a little past 7 am.

She was a beautiful German Shepherd Dog with a perfect temperament. We got her as a puppy and had the most fun training her. When she went deaf at a young age she still remembered all her commands because we had used hand signals with each one.

Here she is letting us know she would like a cookie out of the pantry. She had us well trained, too.

Our first dog training instructor commented on her manipulative ways when she was just twelve weeks old. He knew.

Here we are on one of our many walks down in the riverbed behind our house. She loved those walks but not the hosing down required before coming back inside.

Yes, she was a house dog. She could always be found in the same room as I or just outside it in the hall. A very constant companion.

She is showing her age here, looking a little tired. She was over 13 years old so it was time, but that doesn't make it any easier. Her passing leaves an empty hole in our lives and lumps in our throats. We will sorely miss her.

(I absolve myself from posting about green today.)

6 Comments:

At 8/28/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

I'm so sad for you. She was a beautiful dog. How is Chase handling it?

 
At 8/28/2007 2:10 PM, Blogger ioi said...

I'm sending you a big hug. It's hard to lose an animal, and 13 years is a long time. I remember visiting you in Union City and being terribly impressed when my siblings and I accompanied you and Brig on a walk and you demonstrated: "Easy...,"

 
At 8/28/2007 3:19 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! It is so hard to lose a pet. That's why I'm only calling our cat Kitty, so I don't get attached to it. I grieve too deeply when I lose an animal I love.

 
At 8/28/2007 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brig was special, very special. She was an extension of your own thoughts and frailties, a great, faithful companion. We miss her, too. Even now, my eyes are tearing. It's o.k. to grieve. She was more than just an animal. Perhaps she was your best friend

 
At 8/29/2007 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like she was a part of our family forever. She is missed.

 
At 9/28/2007 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous girl. I am so sorry for your loss... so tough to lose such a beloved, faithful member of the family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home